Migraine and Exercise

In my earlier post (Day 579) “Migraine” I wrote about exercising, so I have to explain it a bit further because few weeks ago my doctor came to know that one of the major cause of my frequently occurring migraine is, in fact, Exercise.

Since 2003-04 I have been regularly working out, except for the two-years gap that I had while I was completing my research work, and after the break I restarted exercising. My routine always had two alternate days for strength/weight training, 2 days for step aerobics and 1 day of very basic yoga. In my weight training after few initial weeks I used 4 kg – 8 kg free weights and in gym it got 5kg to 20 kg varying on different exercises. To have strong abdomen I did 45-85 crunches, and used around 20-25 cm aerobics bench height. Throughout these years, within 24- 36 hours of exercising, I got regular migraines.

Until recently when I started to maintain my “daily meals & headache diary” I noticed a pattern. Some people learn lessons the hard way and I am one of those ….it was due to my diary that I saw the pattern of every migraine I was having. Either I did strenuous exercise with heavy weights, used high bench or did 80-85 crunches.

It was then decided that I should stop strenuous exercise immediately or permanently injure my muscles, as there is a specific category of exercise-induced migraines. To remain active I can only do light physical activities, like walking, swimming and staying active throughout my day.

It was the most difficult thing to accept that I was exercising way beyond my body’s acceptable exercise-threshold. Then other things like, insufficient vitamin D levels along with weak musculoskeletal structure were also making the situation worse.

So exercise is great, but you have to know that we are all different and one formula does not suit everyone. It is not required to go crazy with weight training or cardio, when you want to adapt to a new way of living creative strategies have to be formed, where gym is not the only answer though it is one of the many solutions. Although it is extremely difficult to explain this to your trainers, or to the people who will be pushing you towards gym or even your doctor that exercise is causing migraines.

So what is the solution? Doing moderate-intensity, low impact activity (low-impact means movements that involve less direct force on the body, they are done in a softer gear, placing less stress on the body and reducing risk of injury). These include, brisk walking, swimming, cycling, yoga (yoga should be done under highly trained & authentically certified yoga teacher), workout walks. Please do not attempt to do Pilates with just anybody, as it involves intense use of your cervical/ neck & entire vertebral column. A single wrong movement in Pilates and it will disable your body for entire life.   

My new favorite is the workout-walks by Jane Fonda, it involves 1 mile of walk with great upper body workout.

I am giving all the links of low-impact exercises, but the trick of success is that you need to actually do them at least 2-3 per week, instead of watching them from your sofa. They are safe and suitable for all age-groups i.e. from 18-80 (male and female). These exercises are also excellent for anyone who is not suffering from headaches but want to maintain a healthy, active lifestyle, who is short on time for gym- then these are short workouts but highly effective, especially for losing body fat and keeping it off for good.

However, please consult your doctor before you attempt to do any of the following or any other exercise programs. Maintain a daily meals+ headache diary, note everything you eat in a day. Also write about headaches, and if any event happened before it.

Walk workout level 1 (Do this level 3-4 times in a week, for at least 4-5 weeks so your body can adjust with new routine.) 
   
Walk workout level 2 (In fifth week start level 2. You can either mix it with level 1 or do it independently)

Lite weights (this can be done within 3 weeks of starting level 1 of walk. Only if you do not get any headache. Do weight exercise 2 times in a week with two days break between each weight workout)

Resistance Band exercise (excellent for people sitting in office, computers for long duration, who travel frequently. This can be done separately anytime, anywhere.) 

  

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ηi, constantly i used to check webpage plsts
here in the early hours in the daylight, as і
like to find out more аnd more.

Popular posts from this blog

3 January 2019

From Home to Dubai: A New Year's Journey

23 March 2019