Changing trends



What a week it has been....from the end of the Blessed month of Ramadan, followed by beautiful Eid, to Pakistan’s 66th birthday on 14th August.

So much has changed yet everything seems to be the same. Sometimes change happen so delicately that even the person going through it is unaware, nevertheless, it is only at a certain moment you realize that something is different. That you are different....

Eid and 14th August used to be completely different when I was a kid, which is not so long ago by the way. On Eid my friends and I were always committed to give each other greeting cards which used to have most delightful writings and drawings personally done by all of us.

To hold something tangible in your hands like a card has a beautiful feeling, its like your own energy gets transferred to the other person. SMS, e-cards and Facebook’s ‘Eid Mubarak to all family & friends’ are no comparison to such personal touches.

Not until too long ago I had a rule to send Greeting Cards to my friends, family & colleagues. The pleasure to receive a card by post is amazing. However, these days the kind of cards available are not for the faint hearted. Every card has a red heart or red flowers and trust me if sent at a wrong address that can get you in some serious trouble.

I do not want to send those typed courier cards, there is nothing written by your hand just a sign with blue ball point...sorry not my cup of tea. Besides these days everybody seems to be so tech savvy that they believe such efforts are not worth it. Yes, everything has to have some worth, right!

So gradually I had to give up this wonderful trend. Unfortunately, something of the sort has also happened to the 14th of August. There used to be such urgency to buy flags and to decorate the terrace and balcony. It was not just another holiday which we spent sleeping rather it used to be a day of celebration second to only religious festivals.

After all it was the day when we got our independence. So what has changed? I guess, we grow old and as one grows old, their mind, their spirit their feeling become aged. Oh yes, we are an aged nation lacking enthusiasm and gratitude for our Independence.

Today it is only our youth who make efforts to celebrate this day by wearing Pakistan’s flags and caps and moving around the city in bikes.

I do not blame anybody but it is me who has brutally tortured and killed my feelings and the realization that I am a citizen of the most beautiful country called Pakistan.  A country, that has given me with the Grace of Allah everything: my education, my dignity and my livelihood.

Have a wonderful evening!

Sonya Syed. (Day 441)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 January 2019

From Home to Dubai: A New Year's Journey

23 March 2019