Pakistan

I should have but I didn’t. Why? because my life and its activities have overwhelmed me to such an extent that this year I forgot about the significance of Independence.

14th August 1947, is the day when Pakistan received Independence and every year we commemorate this day by celebrating our freedom. We celebrate and give our heartfelt gratitude to Allah and to everyone who gave their lives, their families, their wealth so that today you and I can live in safety and peace. So that you and I, can live according to our religious believes fearlessly. So that you and I, can get educated and serve our country.

Whatever I am today, is because of this country. Like million others my life, my education, my prosperity are only because I was born in this free country. Yet how easily I took for granted my blessings.

I am not blaming anybody but only myself for my selfish attitude. Yesterday, I went out and the streets were filled with green flags. People in cars, bikes and even pedestrians were all imbued in the spirit of freedom. For the first time in my life I saw so many adults wearing green coloured clothes celebrating Independence Day.

As I was seeing all this, a sudden wave of sadness overtook me. I was feeling down for no apparent reason. Whatever I was seeing did not register in me. I felt out of place. 

I couldn’t understand why all of these people are enjoying this day, I mean it was only 14th August after all. Another holiday, some more time to take rest. What’s the big deal?

Even the day before, students at local universities were doing special arrangements by decorating their campuses and arranging events.

And on 15th August, people in the Punjab province are going through a historical time when Azadi (Independence) March is being done against the corrupt system of Pakistan. However, in today’s independence march we are not fighting the British rather we are fighting the corruption and injustice within our own system.

In 1947, the enemy was clear but in 2014 it is difficult to point out real enemy, because he is not someone from the outside rather he is within and with many different faces and many different names.

I received a panic call from home, when I have been asked to pray for all the protestors in the Azadi March as there are immense security threats to all of them.

It is in this moment when I finally realized that whatever I was witnessing for the last three days was actually to wake me up.

Waking up are small words, jerking me up; I believe are the right words.    

What has happened to me? When and where have I lost the spirit of my freedom?
Since when my life and its trivialities over-shadowed my respect for this beautiful Country?

All those celebrations, people in green colour were the reminders from God- to make me realize as to what kind of blessing I have given and how easily I am being ungrateful.

You know what happened to me, I have become an adult. And adults have jobs, work, responsibilities, they are very busy people. All these celebrations are for school going children and students, not for professionals like me.

This is exactly what happened to me. I was so lost in my life that I even forgot to realize that the life, the work, the responsibilities, I am enjoying and fulfilling today so freely are because of this country, my country Pakistan.

With many many many prayers, immense dreams and the deepest of love for Pakistan….

Pakistan Zindabad!

Sonya Syed. (Day 488)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 January 2019

From Home to Dubai: A New Year's Journey

23 March 2019