Dharna in Karachi



No I am referring to the recent sit-ins by PTI but Dharna is the recent theater play written by veteran writer Anwar Maqsood and directed by Dawar Mehmood.

This is there third or fourth collaboration and I must say they always give us delightful treats. When their first play Anagan Terha was being shown I was skeptic of this endeavor, mostly because I watched Anagan Terha almost hundred times; it was my childhood classic and thanks to the frequent re-runs of the show on PTV  I have completely absorbed it with all my senses.

Whether it was Shakeel, Bushra Ansari or the great Salim Nasir, they made this play immortal. I was worried that no one can give what Saleem Nasir gave to the role of ‘Akbar’ but to my sheer surprise the new actor ….. did complete justice to the character. And I am sure if Saleem Nasir was alive he would have been very happy as well.

Although it has been more than a year when the play was presented in Karachi, and for historical hundred days in a row; nevertheless, I am still under its spell. 

There are high expectations with Dharna and less expectations of getting tickets for weekend. As usual my friend who shares my enthusiasm and love for theater would be accompanying me for this play, and in her words “we are the soulmates for theater”.

Some find it difficult to sit very quietly in the theater hall for 2 hours without using their mobile phones but I must say that this can turn out to be a fantastic experience. There are 3Ds and 4Ds movie to watch and so much crazy technology to use but nothing can replace theater experience where human energies are involved. 
 
Both of us are now making panicked calls to whoever we can find to get tickets for Friday and Saturday, as other days are sold out leaving for us only four days option which are not possible for either of us.
 
With all my love,

Sonya Syed. ( Day 511)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 January 2019

From Home to Dubai: A New Year's Journey

23 March 2019