Birkin or a Kelly?

I thought it would never happen to me but it did. I didn’t even know when it all started but it did somehow. 

So this is how it all began... Couple of days ago I began to be a bit uncomfortable due to my handbag, it was my first expensive purchase and I was becoming obsessed with its care.  I just had it! I thought I would buy myself something less expensive so I can carry it with a free mind without killing myself over its care. 

I found something and I fell in love with it right then and there, it was a great buy. Very comfortable, funky color, spacey and then……………………

As I was excitedly opening it at home and shifting my stuff something stroked me about my new purchase. There was a distinct monogram on the front and it said H..ermes Paris…. Err what? Really me!

Oh my goodness I just bought third or probably fourth replica of Hermes Birkin or maybe a Kelly, I cannot seem to clearly understand the difference. They all pretty much look the same with slight differences.

And then a voice inside my head suddenly began this monologue,

“You just cannot take this bag in public Sonya. What would everyone will say? Sonya is buying replicas of branded bags. Sonya does not have enough money to buy a real Hermes. Tch tchh…

Gosh your reputation will be ruined? How will you save your face? Everyone will laugh behind your back.

No! you have to show them, everyone, that you are something big. Show them all that you can buy a real Hermes. Show them that you are someone important, someone fabulously rich and stylish. Show them and then they will all be awe-struck with you. They will praise you, appreciate you; they will be happy with you, they will enjoy your company.


You will become the most sophisticated, trendy and sought after lady in your circle. You will be included in the likes of Katie Holmes, Victoria Beckham. Go and buy it”.



Honestly after listening to all this I started to feel depressed and then I thought what the hell? Yes what the hell?

If you look closely at the underlined words in the above paragraphs, you would see that how our egos motivates us through our thoughts to buy into brands.

Who does not want to be appreciated, accepted, loved and respected, and to get all these things we chose the path of buying expensive things with brand names attached to them.

It is so amazing that we go to all lengths to be appreciated and feel important when the reality of the matter is that nobody is actually bothered about us for more than few seconds.

Yes people do talk about you, and sometimes you also get appreciated for what you wear or carry on facebook and occasionally at a personal level.

And that’s about it because the irony of human nature is that within seconds as you leave their company people will talk about you (not so positively) and in less than five minutes they will ultimately forget all about you and move on with their own lives.

A wise lady said somewhere, ‘in our 20’s and 30’s we spend most of our time worrying about how others feel about us. In our 40’s and 50’s we become comfortable with ourselves and least bothered about others. And in 60’s and 70’s we finally come to a realization that nobody was ever bothered about us, anyways


All the precious time we spent worrying about what others think or feel about us is a total waste of time and energy because we are on nobody’s mind anyhow.

So, you do what you like… you wear what you love… you drive what you can… and you carry what you want. 

Love to all…

Sonya A. Syed. (Day 495)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 January 2019

From Home to Dubai: A New Year's Journey

23 March 2019