Definition of Success

There was a discussion on TV about the definition of success, there were intellectuals, journalist, lawyer and they all gave their views. However, the best reply came from Dr. Mehdi Hassan who said, “if a person is deeply satisfied and at peace in his life, even though he does not have the worldly luxuries, then this is Success”.

Someone added that one is successful when he/she is the absolute master of their time and they have the freedom to meet only the people they like to meet.

I for one absolutely agree with Dr. Mehdi’s definition, I have heard of and seen several people who apparently have flourishing careers/businesses/practices with money pouring onto them from sky; yet their personal lives, their relationships are a misery. On the other hand, I have also seen spiritual people who are always sick and broke; then this is not even success.

So what success is actually, that we all run for throughout our lives. A homemaker/housewife believes that her single friend who has a career & independence is successful. While the latter thinks that her friend who has a family and who is raising her children splendidly is far more successful then any of the professional-single ladies out there.

Everyone has a different view about success; once I defined success as the ability to buy whatever I want, whenever I want. In monetary or material terms, I guess that would have been an appropriate definition, nevertheless, in terms of reality I have to agree with Dr. Hassan.

If I have all the luxuries of the world or when time has become my slave; however, if I am not content and peaceful in my life then I am worse than a pauper.

I would like to know your views on success as well and let’s see where the discussion takes us.
Life is once again beckoning me to return to its flow, to leave my island; and now it shall be my decision to either start running in the same-old, same-old neurotic patterns or adhere to the sanity and be grounded. A tough choice because life gets to you; once you allow it to come in as a guest it could become a house-snatcher. I have to be hyper-aware, be present in the here and now and keep myself grounded as my armor from all that excitement, ambition, power, and enticement which I shall inevitably be surrounded with.

Longing for your prayers dear ones.

Sonya. (Day 182)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 January 2019

From Home to Dubai: A New Year's Journey

23 March 2019