The Past


Thankfully to God that my friend whom I mentioned to be in distress few days ago has fortunately come out of her crisis safe and sound. It is a real joy for me to see everybody around me in joy.

Today I had an opportunity to have a walk down memory lane. Although I hardly ever prefer to live in memories but sometimes I believe it is fine to reminiscence the past gaiety. If I look in the past, then most prominently my school days comes to mind. Please do not worry that now I would drag you all into my school days or describe every little detail. But lets give it a glance, shall we. 

I did my matriculation from St. Patrick’s School however I spend my elementary and secondary school days at a fantasy school. I call it a fantasy school because it seemed to have appeared from a fairytale and when its work was completed it disappeared into the Neverland.

I did my early schooling from New Horizons Public School, located at Nursery Area in Karachi. It was a school started by a couple Mr. & Mrs. Zia and their brother Mr. Fazal-ur-Rehman with a team of the most dedicated teachers and administration. My wonderful friends Muneeza and Maria came from that school. 

It was in that school where I had my first fight in class 8, I beat up my class fellow Imran Yousuf. It was our last class and a free period, we were all packing bags and Imran suddenly started throwing rubber on my head, I warned him twice and the third time I showed him what it takes to mess up with me. Yes I actually had a fight with him and my entire class instead stopping both of us began betting on us. Half were on his side and the other half on my side; it turned into a mini wrestling.

Our class was most proudly named the class of hooligans. In those days my lunch comprised of two packs of chilly chips Slims and a bottle of Coca Cola, (Slims is a famous brand of chips available in Karachi). Yes it was an unhealthy routine but as we got awareness I changed to fruits and juices.

My favorite past time was not fighting but spending free time with the Kindergarten (KG) students. Maria and I whenever had extra time from breaks or gym we would always play with them.

I remember that there was this KG 1 or KG 2 student who was either lost in the backyard of our school or probably someone from my class mischievously left him there. Luckily I was playing on that side so I bumped into a wildly crying 5 years old. I could not understand whether he was crying more or his running nose was streaming more because both his tears and water from nose was mixed together. I tried to calm him down and as I touched his hand he was feverish probably due to the fear of being lost. Anyways I brought him out of the backyard towards the main entrance, called his teacher and our sweetest Amma (our school nanny). 

Although he was composed after a while but not at all interested to go either with Amma or his teacher. So I sat with him until our Principal called his parents and they hurriedly came to pick him up. I think his dad wore a gray or dark blue safari suit and his mom was beautiful.

At New Horizons our teachers were not mere ladies who used teaching as a hobby but it was their life; they were a group of professionally committed teachers. We learnt computers, read Shakespeare and French revolution in class 4. I learnt my first embroidery and baking from Miss Bilquis who was a Xerox of classic Indian Actress Madhubala. We all used to stand in the morning assembly and gazed at her beauty.

Then how can I forget Ms. Fouzia Butt who taught us English from Class 1 to Class 8 and she is that person whom I shall respect and love forever and who has made me capable that I am able to communicate with you all and write this blog today.

Thank you so much all my dearest teachers, my parents & above all Thank You God for blessing me with all the opportunities and resources.

Sonya. (233)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 January 2019

From Home to Dubai: A New Year's Journey

23 March 2019