Mystery



Sometimes waiting seems to be the best option because there is no other option. I have tried many times to say something but all in vain, words have seemed to left me. For once in my life, I am speechless. I feel that whatever I am writing or trying to write is boring, well actually I am boring myself. I need something fresh or someone new to inspire me.

It is so true that in our daily life we meet people who inspires us, give us new idea, some food for thought. They could be anybody, they could be someone we know or don’t know. Sometimes even meeting people briefly in life can be truly inspirational.

To ease some of my boredom I have bought myself an Agatha Christie's novel ‘At Bertram’s Hotel’, she was the phenomenal mystery writer of 20th century. Her books have sold billions of copies in many languages since her first novel in 1920’s. I love all her books, and I love the suspense she creates.

Most of the books have purely British background with fancy homes, loyal butlers, traditional decor and yes sudden murders. When you read her novels you just feel that you belong to the classic British era. 

I have to admit that my mind at times work like her famous detectives Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple. 

Just like these fictional detectives whenever I am at a cafe or restaurant or any other social gatherings I study people, it is my favourite hobby. I get curious as to who they are or what might be their stories.

If you pay attention you might learn a lot just by simple observation. A word of caution, never make anybody uncomfortable by observing them, never look at anybody directly because that would disturb them.

I am sorry but I cannot help it, it comes to me very naturally. It might surprise you that such detective like curiosity and observation has been truly helpful in legal work. An inquisitive mind is a perfect landscape for being a good lawyer.

Mostly people have misperception regarding the traits of lawyer; they believe that for being a good lawyer one should be highly argumentative and have debater-like qualities. I have to disagree, because for a good lawyer one has to be confident with a highly creative and a very curious mind. Debating ability or arguing habits alone are not enough.

There have been moments when I felt bad for not being able to work in the Scotland Yard or for not practicing as a criminal lawyer, because that’s what I actually wanted to do. When I started my practice I was determined to work on the criminal law but my seniors and family strictly banned that area for me.

Thus I became a corporate lawyer; however, I have absolutely no regrets for working on the civil side because what I gained on this side is fabulous. Working as a corporate lawyer, not only expanded my knowledge, but I also managed to do some amazing work. Along with all this, it also made possible for me to meet wonderful people.

When I look at the big picture I have to say that all these elements together have made my journey a blessed experience.

Have a fabulous weekend!

Take care of yourself and your loved ones.

Sonya Syed (Day 443)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 January 2019

From Home to Dubai: A New Year's Journey

23 March 2019