Birthdays ( For 30 Sept. 2011)

It is 30th September and after years of embarrassment with my dearest friend Sadia Abid Saleem I finally remembered her birthday. Not only that I remembered it but made a small arrangement of giving her a surprise visit with a bunch of flowers. Regrettably Amma had a mild fever so chores at home were to be looked after therefore my visit to my friend’s home was postponed; yet calls were made and greetings were given.

It has been a regular with us that whenever we have an occasion we give each other flowers. She is the only person besides my Uncle and Aunty who give me flowers as a birthday gift therefore she is also one of the most content recipients of bouquet.

Most of the people even my mother believes that flowers last for few hours and it is wise to gift something which can last for 6 months to few years at least. Well this is a valid point but you cannot replace the sheer joy which these delicate flowers bring. Everything does not have to be valued in monetary terms, in profit or loss.

More than my wishing her she was happy that this year I actually remembered her birthday besides my own and my Mamo’s. I cannot forget my Uncle’s birthday because he was born on 25th December and it is hard to miss this date as it is not only Christmas but also this is Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah’s (founder of Pakistan) date of birth.

It is far more embarrassing that I can’t remember either my mother or my cousin’s birthday, I am always confused whether it 16 or 18 June and 15 or 17 July.

However, the most embarrassing times were when I used to forget Maria Lakhani's birthday and she is my best friend since Class 6. So you can imagine the level of embarrassment in her case. There were actual occasions when Maria used to call me on her birthday and ask me “Sonya aren’t you forgetting something”. After a while when I would finally realize what she was referring to I always apologized and wished her. Yet for couple of years now my mother has taken this responsibility of reminding me these highly important dates and saving my face.

The social networking sites are also blessing for people like me. Whenever there is a birthday they notify you and keep on doing that until you finally wish your friends. 

Please note that I do not do this forgetting stuff purposely or due to any carelessness, if you show me a face I can remember and recognize it after an eternity it is only difficult for me to remember both names and dates.

What matters most is that my sincerity and love for my friends is always there and I am sure that even with all my shortcomings they forgive me and love me too.

My dear ones in fondness..Good evening..

Sonya. (DAY 213)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 January 2019

From Home to Dubai: A New Year's Journey

23 March 2019