My School (New Horizons Public School)


Memories don't leave you especially the ones you have from your childhood- your friends, your school, the teachers. The time when life seemed magical and everything was possible. When you actually think that the sofa you are jumping on is an island and the carpet below is an ocean.

Childhood is a time when my mom told me that if I finish my food quickly then Thumbelina (a fairy of my thumb size) will  come and play with me. And I believed with all my heart that when I would reach School my fairy friend Thumbelina will be there to play with me. Thumbelina is still very real for me.

With all these memories I had a sudden impulse to go to my school and see how it is today. To share all those beautiful moments and give you a glimpse of my glorious past I have taken some pictures of it, which I have shared at the end of this post.

I went there after a very long time, the building is pretty much the same but our school was closed down many years ago and today a new school with the name of Progressive Public School has taken its place. This school is located at main Razi Road, Nursery near PTCL exchange, Karachi.

What bedazzled me is that they have kept most of the school as it was in my time except with few minor changes, like our art room is still there but now it is used for the junior section.

I got so excited to see it, my last class, our assembly place its all the same. It felt that I was a child again who just wanted to play with friends, go to my class and study. I always felt that New Horizons Public School came from a fairytale world, the teachers, the administration and the students were all characters from a children’s book.

We were blessed and not only fortunate to have received such impeccable education and our love for books- for reading and writing. The management paid closed attention that we all get best of the best knowledge. They used to import our course books from Singapore and England, and especially they used to hold regular book exhibitions every few months, where we used to get books from around the world.

I studied French Revolution and Shakespeare classic novels in grade 3 and 4. It was the first school in Pakistan which had full computer based education system. Fazal Uncle (Fazal ur Rehman Alvi Shb) devised for us a computer program based on artificial intelligence. Ms. Fouzia Butt, Ms. Seema polished our English and computers.

Who can forget our beautiful Ms. Bilquis, a living version of Madhubala, our art teacher who gave us an eye for beauty and art. By the way I left it in grade 8 and went to St. Patrick’s School to complete my 9 & 10th.

I can go on and on but the post has to end somewhere, however, using this opportunity I want some people to contact me if they happen to read this email. Lovely Sabeen my class mate in kg 3 and grade 1, I dont remember your last name dear but you came from pepri. 

Second a very cute little boy from kinder garten section. Sorry buddy I don’t remember your name but I used to come and play with you in my break time and game period. you couldn't pronounce my name properly so you called me 'dosht' (Dost, Friend). 

And, yes you had a sinus or a constant running nose problem, so your mom used to pin up a little hankie on your shirt- plus your class teacher always made you the king in class and made you wear golden crown. You left the school probably after six months or one year.

If you guys also remember me or any of this then do contact me.

My Baby

Main Entrance (Porch on right, Assembly area+ play ground left)


Main Entrance- Porch (these benches were painted red then by my class)

Front view of play-area leading to Junior class rooms & Principal's Room

Play ground which had grass
Terrace & entrance to our floor

Terrace



Our Floor


Our art Teacher's room now changed to art room

Used to be our Art Room



My last class grade 8

Part of Computer lab now changed to a classroom


With lots of love and respect for all the teachers, students and parents out there.

Sonya Syed. (Day 461)

Comments

Unknown said…
Salamalikum,

After almost 5 years of you writing the post some one like me reads up and comments. I am Tehseen Raza probably the most mischevious kid of the school. Was in grade 4 before being migrated to St. Pats. I remember you as you were among the most senior class in the school. You probably had braces during your time. And I remember that amazing competition between Muzeeza and a fellow student in class 8 and tha amazing athletic abilities of Faris. And of course the teachers Ms.Seema, Ms, Farah, Ms. Shahnaz, Mrs. Zia (the vice principal) Ms. Salma and yes the list can go on and on. Do remember those scout sessions and the computer lab .... the 1992 World Cup final broadcast after the paper ...

Need to create and collect group of ppl who were in the school. I remember a friend in my brothers class who went on to make a movie “chalay thay saath” .... Need to collect ppl, pictures and other stuff of New Horizon Public School. It’s a legacy that is almost dead, your post did revive it a bit. Others from the same time need to follow..

Popular posts from this blog

3 January 2019

From Home to Dubai: A New Year's Journey

23 March 2019