Jab We Met

Painting by South African artist Maria Magdalena Oosthuizen






















Time does not pass quickly it runs with the speed of light. After a million years today I had a conversation with my kindergarten friend, who is also my first friend after I landed in this world- we call her Azi.

We met in our most beloved school New Horizons and studied together from prep 3 to grade 8. It was her daddy and uncle who founded that school, and to this family I have the most heartfelt respect because they have given me the most precious gift- a gift of knowledge.


We became friends when we didn’t even know what the word ‘friend’ means. Azi, ماشا الله is a Professor at one of the UAE’s leading University, following the footsteps of her family.

There were so many shared memories between us, that this and hundred other posts would be insufficient. Every weekend I would go to her place to study, to play, to listen our favourite music together, to practice for our school functions and Aunty (her Mom) would make delicious meals for us.

Whether it was Eid or any other occasion our get-together were always a pleasure.
We read our ‘Sweet Valley High’ together, she used to lent me from her huge collection of books. Later, following my passion for suspense thrillers I shifted to Nancy Drew Mystery Series and John Grisham.
Chandani was our favourite romantic movie and Rishi Kapoor was our mutual hero, although he was then way older from us even if we both combined our ages. Sri Devi was our dancing diva, someone we both admired and tried our best to imitate.   
We also seriously discussed the progress of an upcoming hero, someone named Shah Rukh Khan. It was a very serious matter for us, after all, he was starring in our the then favourite director Yash Chopra’s new movie Dilwale Dulhania Ley Jaengay.
Since then I have been desperately trying to get on the Euro train to meet my Raj, as for Azi she has met her Raj.
Delicious memories.....
Sonya Syed (Day 546).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 January 2019

From Home to Dubai: A New Year's Journey

23 March 2019