Saturday and Rumi


This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,

some momentary awareness comes
As an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!

Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,

meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,

because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

The Guest House by Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi

All spiritual teachings in one poem….. Simply Magnificent.

The negative emotions the sorrow, fear, anxiety, irritation are all in the human being visiting them every morning by way of thoughts or emotions. The purpose is not to run away from them but to become aware of them, to become there witness and fully accept there presence. With this Awareness comes Presence and with it comes Peace. It is with this light of awareness the darkness of thoughts will disperse. Until we realize that we are in darkness we would not search for the light of peace hence this darkness is sent from God as our guide.

________________________________
Finally Saturday, it is my favorite day of the week. There is something intriguing about this day it means many things to many people- to some it signifies relaxation, chilling time, dinners, lunches, meeting friends and family. And sometimes just watching TV or overhearing the songs played at weddings in the distance.

While I worked at law firms I never fully understood the meaning of Saturdays. I went to work but mainly it was my learning time and felt more like the extension of my school and college life. So Saturday would mean only a holiday when I have to complete my assignments and prepare for the coming work.

Yet at the time of working at law firms with some of the wonderful lawyers under their vigilance I have had the blessed opportunity to prepare for the real business world. When I worked with them I knew that I was protected and I also knew that if I made a mistake they will be there to take care of it and also bring me out of its repercussions.

Then as I began to work as the legal advisor at a brokerage house in Karachi, there it was me solely responsible from the beginning to the end for the work. Nevertheless, once again I was blessed to work with the best of people who were seriously protective of me and amazingly appreciative of my hard work.

It was during my work there when I realized what Saturday actually meant. I use to have half days on Saturday, so as the clock turned 1.30 pm my bags were packed and I was ready to set off. It felt more like my school days when we anxiously wait for the bell beckoning the finish of the last class.

However, on few occasions our Director would give us a surprise visit at exactly 1.20 pm to check who has left and who is still there. In all honesty the person who got most affected by these pop-ups was me, strangely enough it triggered in me my elementary school days when our principal would not allow us to leave school until we complete our work. I know this was a childish thought but there it was.

Yet this is how I learned the importance of Saturdays thus they became the fascination of my life.

May your life be filled with many beautiful fascinations too..

Good Night!

Sonya. (Day 283)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 January 2019

From Home to Dubai: A New Year's Journey

23 March 2019