What a day I had!



It said that if you wish to see the real face of any country, all you need to do is see the condition of libraries there. And what I saw today I can only say that “I am truly sorry for Pakistan, especially for all of us”.

I am working on a project these days, for that I need to visit libraries for my research. The start of my day was beautiful everything synced perfectly, until I met the Frere Hall Library.

Since my childhood I was fascinated by this building, it stood in the best part of Karachi with all its majesty and grace and one cannot help but marvel on its architecture, a true classic.


As I entered the vicinity I saw that the front door of the library was closed and the entry was from the side. Slowly and cautiously I walked towards the side area because there was not much human presence. The building reminded me of the moment from the movie “The Haunting” where all the mysteriously invited characters one by one entered the old haunted mansion.



Although it was 11 in morning but most part of the library was empty with only few couples sitting in the garden of the library.

‘What is this? This cannot be the library’. Two middle aged men were sitting behind a desk, apparently looked like the information desk. After initial inquiries, I was allowed to enter and browse freely in the long, semi-dark hall filled with book covered in gossamers, cobwebs all over. 


 






It was so dark near the book shelves that I was hardly able to see my hands, let alone the book titles. But I comforted myself that I will come tomorrow when there will be light, i.e. in hours other than load-shedding.

So I merrily asked the man what are the load-shedding timings. He said “load-shedding Madam! There is no light in the library for the last two years. Government has started construction work somewhere upstairs and for the last two years they have disconnected our electric supply.”

I was shocked to hear that a library located in front of a 5-star hotel and American Embassy in Karachi did not have electricity for two years. Even more shocked to hear that the library was completely closed down for years because of the security reasons. 

He continued, “The roof of the library has several leakages and during the rains entire library gets filled with water, so we have now packed all the books to protect them from further destruction”.

But I have to find my books’, I insisted. The man then asked me to talk to the Madam who is in-charge of this library, so I can become a member and take all the books I need.

I was then lead into a nearby room that thankfully had electricity and a lady with sad eyes, managing a small new stock of books that was probably a donation from somebody.

We chatted only for few minutes and I felt comfortable in her presence. She informed that the membership form was Rs. 100 but I don’t need to even pay this amount because if I want to issue books from library all I need is to submit my original ID card as security. She informed me that since the library is managed by public sector and fall under the Government’s Department of Antiquity we offer books at a very nominal fees.

I said to myself, ‘Department of Antiquity, why not the Department of Education? But then of course quite rightly, after all education is also now an antique item in Pakistan.’

During those few minutes of our interaction, we somehow connected with each other and strangely our eyes were filled with tears. Our tears were the tears of sorrow and grief on the death of books and final stage of this ‘Temple of Knowledge’.






The lady with sad eyes expressed her deepest remorse that she was not able to help me the way I should be helped or the way she has to return so many other students who want to study. However, she assured me that whenever I’ll come to library she will arrange table and chair in the naturally lighted and airy place.

I promised her that I will return soon. As I was coming out of her office I tried to control the incessant flow of my tears, but I was failing miserably. In that moment I felt that something inside me died.

Few kilometers away from Frere Hall Library, there was an ambitious library called DHA Library. On entering the venue, I was asked to seek relevant information from the office. This building was relatively in a good condition as it is run and managed by retired Army officers.

There was a lady sitting behind the desk, who mechanically provided me the information and informed me that until I pay all my fees I am strictly not allowed to even enter the main library or browse through the books, and if I want to check the books I should do that from their website.

Anyways being neither member of DHA residential area nor belonging to Army background, I have to pay upfront Rs. 4200/- for registration and three months advance and then it would be Rs. 1000 per month fees.

For someone like me it is easy to afford this amount; however, there are many students for whom this amount is rather impossible to pay every month in order to utilize books and all the latest technology offered at this library.

What is the alternative for them? Upgrading and maintenance of the haunted house so it can become what it is meant to be, the Library. If you are in construction business offer them renovation, if you make furniture or have some at home or office then donate, if you know someone in electricity department then arrange for electricity, if you have books then donate them, if you have money buy new books. It could be Rs. 100, 1000, 10,000 or a million.

If you are unable to donate then spread the word, tell your friends, friends of friends, share this story on facebook, write a blog, make noise- lot of noise.


{WORD OF CAUTION: Frere Hall library is a government property so please, please take all necessary measures/ cautions that your money, or help goes only to the library rather than taking accidental detour into the pockets of corrupt personnel.}

Love to all,

Sonya Syed. (Day 521)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 January 2019

From Home to Dubai: A New Year's Journey

23 March 2019