The Progeny

It is always a joy to see the children following the footsteps of their elders, learning from their experiences, doing what the elders did and avoiding whatever they avoided. It is also fulfilling to witness children finding their own paths in life independent from their elders, sometimes making mistakes on the way and learning and succeeding.

Nevertheless, it is painful to witness the conflict between the elders and the youngsters. The elders desiring that their progeny should follow them under any circumstances, irrespective of the latter’s interest. Parents have the instinct to protect their children; they simply cannot bear the thought of their younger ones getting hurt in their way to life. However, this protection could, at times turn into possessiveness.

If the offspring does not have the desire to follow the lifestyles or profession of their parents then serious conflicts arise within the family. It is understandable that the parents desire their children to follow the profession which they have established over the years with their sweat and blood, to take their efforts a step ahead. However, if the child does have neither interest nor the requisite acumen in that field then how would he/she flourish?

Once when I was sitting at a high-profile case hearing and in the midst of the intense arguments between the lawyers, a young barrister (who is also the son of a very prominent lawyer) was sitting in the front row and secretly reading William Shakespeare. While all of the associates including me, were sitting there to learn and observe the giants of the legal profession. I felt so sorry for that gentleman because his father had all his hopes on his son and the son had no interest in law. Probably he wanted to teach English literature at a University and only due to the family pressure he joined the legal profession.

When I completed my college and it was the decision time to choose my profession my mom wanted me to become a doctor like her but when she realized that I cannot survive a day at the hospital she allowed me to decide whatever I wanted to do. The only condition she had for me was that whatever I choose should be a kind of self-business rather than a job-oriented profession; to which I merrily agreed. I cannot imagine what would have become of me and how would I have survived had I not been given the freedom of choice and the space to breath and grow.

Now when I practice law I on my own decided to be attached to healing as well. However, I am not a doctor by any degree but I am glad to be a healer. Problem solved, both the parties are happy.

I guess the best thing is to surrender this or any other conflict to the Greatest Wisdom, the God, and a perfect solution shall come out miraculously.

In my love……..

Sonya. (Day 181)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 January 2019

From Home to Dubai: A New Year's Journey

23 March 2019