Health & Safety

Its only 9 pm and sleep is already getting the best of me, eyes are becoming heavy, keys on the notepad are pressed rather slowly. But I can’t just go to bed so early, there is so much left to do from praying to writing a few articles for different publications. The content of which I agree would be quite different from my professional domain. Yes I am venturing into health related areas something which is more at home for my mother however past few days I have met people who are working rigorously for health and safety of our citizens and I am influenced by their work so I decided to contribute in my own little way as much as possible. Prospects are still in the pipeline so it is only prudent to elaborate on them when matters are confirmed.

I visited HANDS an NGO chaired by Dr. Ghaffar Billo who is also considered the godfather of pediatrics in Pakistan so if anything has his involvement then it is worthwhile to explore. HANDS is mainly focused on the betterment of health standards for children and women and they have also started in collaboration with local banks several schemes of microfinance. Through these schemes they are providing financial support to the underprivileged so the latter shall be in position to commence business and earn respectable and decent livelihoods.

There is also a serious campaign going on about the safety methods to handle infectious laboratory materials. I am quite stunned to know as to how many ways are there to spread epidemics throughout the country only if proper care is not taken. Plus there are a number of ways in which infectious substances can enter the body and cause infections including ingestion, inhalation, or contact with mucous membranes, including conjunctivae (i.e. transfer of microorganisms to the eyes by contaminated hands), or with non-intact skin. Infections could as well enter our system by exposure to infectious aerosols; spills and splashes; accidental needle-stick injuries; cuts from sharp objects and broken glass; bites and scratches from animals. The most horrific being the needle prick so extra care should be taken when we walk on streets where used syringes are thrown carelessly and especially with children at parks and beaches, it is advised to wear fully covered shoes with thick base and sole rather than slippers on public spots. According to a report by WHO over 5,000 cases and 190 deaths had been reported up to 1999, although these figures are believed to be a significant underestimate because of underreporting. Additionally, only about 20% of infections can be attributed to any known, single exposure event. And this is 2010 with little awareness so we could safely assume that these figures have been multiplied.

I really sound more like a doctor than a lawyer but it is normal since I firmly believe that at some point in our lives we all turn into our parents.

Thanks a lot for bearing with me and now I try to get back to work………………

Hold on to and bear my love for all …………………………….

Sonya. (Day 58)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Vегy good blog! Do yοu have any helpful hints fоr aspiring wrіtеrs?
I'm hoping to start my own website soon but I'm a little lost
on eνегything. Woulԁ yοu recommenԁ startіng
with a free platform lіκe Wordpress oг
go for a ρaid option? There are so many options out thегe that
ӏ'm completely confused .. Any ideas? Cheers!

my website :: http://www.5htp.co
Also visit my homepage ; 5-htp 5htp amino

Popular posts from this blog

3 January 2019

From Home to Dubai: A New Year's Journey

23 March 2019