Weight Insights (2nd- Facing my fears)

Facing my fears

I got over my most dreaded activity, I joined the gym. Although it was more of a demo session but I ended up doing a bit of work there. I always had this phobia about gym’s weight and strength training side. Although about 8 years ago when I actually thought of doing any kind of exercise I joined a gym for its group session of yoga and aerobics because the machines intimidated me. I thought how can someone on their own figure out these big machines and loose weight but what I didn’t knew was that there are trainers assigned to every member for assistance.

As I entered the main area where they had all the humungous treadmills and God knows how many other weight training machines, I was saying to myself:  what the hell am I doing here?

First I started whining about my ankle or knee aches and like a child refused everything my trainer offered me to work out. I cannot believe the level of my resistance which I displayed there; I had negative comments about every machine.

I must say that the lady who was looking after me was really patient because my whining was non-stop. As she switched on the treadmill to the minimum speed I actually told her that, “I am not going to use it because I will fall, I simply cannot keep up with the speed.” 

After ten minutes into my argument about my inability and fear to use it, I ended up crying literally and my eyes were filled with tears.

As I am writing this I had an epiphany, an insight. Was I actually afraid of machines or is there something more to it. Was I who was frightened or something else within me that felt scared? Was it my mind, the ego* which feared of loosing its place in me.

Was I threatened that my negative and painful emotions which I carried for so many years in the form of body fat will now be forced out. For some weeks I have had worst kind of backaches, knee joint problems & lethargy. May be this is the time when my pain-body* is getting worse because before leaving me it is going to give me a fight for its survival. I must not underestimate the power of ego* but I also know that peace has infinite force.

So am I not be allowed to label myself a victim of life situations? Am I be asked to face and let go everything which caused me emotional pain and hampered achieving my full potential as a human? Moreover, is this merely a weight loss issue or I am in for something else here?

My hate, in ability to forgive, anger, lack which my mind so quietly kept safe as my fat is now challenged to come out. I am challenged to face what I avoided all my life. Wow!!

At home we had a manual treadmill although which exhausted me, gave me nausea and headaches yet strangely I felt comfortable with it. I felt comfortable with it because I couldn’t continue it for more than a week, thus it allowed my fat (a.k.a my negative emotions) to remain exactly as it was. With my effort I managed to be free of the fat for some months but then I had it again and again and again.

This is going to be some experience; more than my weight I have to see what other resistances I will have now. Yes resistances in letting go of what was painful, to forgive, to accept, to surrender and finally of making peace.

Do stay with me on this journey and support me with your prayers.

Sonya. (Day 240)

P.S. For the words which have (*) please refer to my Glossary’s page.

  • I am categorizing all my posts about my weight management under the heading of Weight Insights for ease of your reference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 January 2019

From Home to Dubai: A New Year's Journey

23 March 2019